Close

Not a member yet? Register now and get started.

lock and key

Sign in to your account.

Account Login

Forgot your password?

About Us

MANDATE

The Government Service Insurance System (GSIS or the System) is a government financial institution, organized and created to administer the System’s funds and implement the laws that govern the social security and insurance benefits of all government employees.

The GSIS was created by the Congress of the Philippines through Commonwealth Act No. 186 on November 14, 1936. Its primary objective is to promote the welfare of government employees through an insurance system that will protect its members against adverse economic effects resulting from death, disability and old age.

On May 31, 1977, Presidential Decree (PD) No. 1146, otherwise known as “The Revised Government Service Insurance Act of 1977,” was issued by then President Ferdinand E. Marcos.  On June 24, 1997, Republic Act (RA) No. 8291, otherwise known as, “The Government Service Insurance System Act of 1997”, was enacted into law, enhancing the social security coverage and benefits of the GSIS.

GSIS also administers the Employees’ Compensation Program, which provides for work-related social security benefits for the public sector, and the General Insurance Fund, which provides non-life coverage for all properties with government insurable interest.

COVERAGE

GSIS covers all government workers irrespective of their employment status, except:

  • Members of the Judiciary and Constitutional Commissions who are covered by separated retirement laws;
  • Contractual employees who have no employee-employer relationship with their agencies;
  • Uniformed members of the Armed Forces of the Philippines and the Philippine National Police, including the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology and the Bureau of Fire Protection.

ORGANIZATION

The governing and policy-making body of the GSIS is the Board of Trustees, the members of which are appointed by the President of the Philippines.

The GSIS workforce consists of 3,104 employees, 52% of whom are in the Head Office while the remaining 48% are in the Branches. To date, the GSIS has 42 Branch Offices, 14 Extension Offices nationwide and 58 service desks.